Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Managuense Babies
WaterWolves - Exotic, Rare and Predatory Fish Since 1998! > Member Forums > Picture Gallery
sunvest
Just found the fries while sucking the tank debris as felt the
Mana pecking at my hand to prevent me from moving further.
Any advice from bros what to do next?
Glass n tank are dirty to photo n didn't clean further incase
of scaring the parent.
dandempsey
When I have fry with the parents, I still to 25% water changes, but not the 80% I usually do. If you want to grow them out, you should separate them. If you don't, then just do what you would normally do. Be careful of the male getting aggressive when he is ready to breed again, or if he decides he doesn't want help guarding fry.
MuskyKiller
A small tank to raise the fry up would be advisable, as when the parents are ready to breed again, they'll quit caring and more than likely start eating the last batch. I would get some BBS (baby brine shrimp) and start them out on that and gradually work up to some type of crushed flake food. If you do seperate them be careful, you'll want to use a "seeded" filter, ideally a large sponge filter with an air pump driving it. Powerfilters may suck the small babies up. Water changes, water changes, water changes... That's the best way to grow the fry up quick is feeding often and frequent water changes.
sunvest
QUOTE(MuskyKiller @ Jan 29 2007, 11:21 AM) *

A small tank to raise the fry up would be advisable, as when the parents are ready to breed again, they'll quit caring and more than likely start eating the last batch. I would get some BBS (baby brine shrimp) and start them out on that and gradually work up to some type of crushed flake food. If you do seperate them be careful, you'll want to use a "seeded" filter, ideally a large sponge filter with an air pump driving it. Powerfilters may suck the small babies up. Water changes, water changes, water changes... That's the best way to grow the fry up quick is feeding often and frequent water changes.

10q for the advice .
When do I remove the babies?
thefishguyatwork
When they start swimming freely and feeding.

Looks like they are already ready to go. They will eat each other quickly and there won't be much you could do about it. I say let it happen some will grow really fast.
sunvest
Do U mean the baby will eat each other or the parent.
Cannot afford krill but daphnia are cheap to feed.Its it OK
to feed daphnia at this stage.
hungry1
The babies will start to eat one another.
duane stuermer
The largest will eat the smallest and weakest. Actually not a bad thing, you probably have hundreds, might be better to end up with 40 or 50 really healthy ones you can take to your clubs auction or trade for something you need at your LFS. I kept too many a few years ago and ended up I couldn't give them away. By that time they were too big to be feeders. Also if you leave them too long they will start cannabalizing the parents.
QUOTE(hungry1 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:25 AM) *

The babies will start to eat one another.
thefishguyatwork
I picked up the last one a from a huge clutch. He ate every last one the others and became a monster. Allowing that can insure good genes. If there is a next clutch you could use it to feed the first batch.
sunvest
I can't bear the thought of using as feeders but would be willing raising it atleast to 1/2" n giving any interested party as long as for hobbyist who are willing to raise it.U guy will be surprise that Managuense are found in our local pool all over our country as I just found out that anglers said this fish is a norm in their daily catch.Local call it fresh water Garoupa.
pacuboy
Oh Cute babies. Hope that don't get eaten.
sunvest
Just remove the babies today.Updatingn image.
armac
Hello David
sunvest
Hi A, sorry for the late respond as your time n mine is 12 hour diff, so I am still in bed.'Howdy'.
Know what, now my female Mayan is playing hoooky with my Rdevil n have not decided to separate them to a breeding tank.Any advice?
sunvest
Just update.The fries are hardly 1/2cm n the Mana are at it again.
Another batch of eggs all over the tank bottom.Afraid to photo
as might scarce the parent eating the eggs.Will photo when the
eggs hatch.
sunvest
Update of 2nd batch eggs n also 1st batch fries.
sunvest
The eggs just hatch but weird looking.
I thought the eggs were dead, all were whitish
as if not fertilise.But when on closer examination
the female charge at the glass thus fanning
the eggs all over, only then I saw it wriggles.
The babies are whitish like dead unfertilise eggs.
Didn't not photo as afraid it might eat the fries.
Will update if have opportunity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.