Real Experts. Real Advice. Right Now. Home of Snowy - The World's One and Only TRUE ALL-WHITE Leucistic Australian Lungfish!  
Message ForumsLive Chat
Species Image

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome to WaterWolves! Please join our community. It's fast, easy, and free!
Quick Register
Welcome to WaterWolves. We're glad that you have discovered the premier online community dedicated to rare, exotic, and predatory fish, since 1998! Please take a moment to consider creating a free account with us.

By registering an account, you can take advantage of many features, including:
  • The collective knowledge of thousands of expert hobbyists!
  • The largest free rare and exotic fish marketplace on the Web!
  • Local chapters. Meet other hobbyists in your area!
  • Exclusive free contests and raffles!
Login User Name

Login Password

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to sex dovii's
kidstuff
post Apr 14 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #1

P. Cariba
Trust Rating
Group: Members

guys, is there any way to sex dovii's at 4" down? other than venting of course smile.gif

any tell tale signs of distinguishing males? i'm thinking of getting myself a male..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Umbriferum
post Apr 14 2005, 07:08 AM
Post #2

Last Train to Aldebaran
Group Icon
Trust Rating
Group: Platinum Supporter

dovii are easy to distinguish. from about 4" onward, males begin to develop body freckling, as small black specks. females will not get this marking.
also, a male's horizontal bar will be patchy and broken, whereas a female's will be thicker and more solid. males also tend to have longer snouts, more streamlined while a female will be shorter in this area.

you cannot reason with someone when their opinion is not based on reason.
The beginning manner of a bag is on Egyptian hieroglyphics, which verify pouches all in almost the waist. The next bearing is in 14th century Europe. In Europe they frequently bestow make an exhibited societal stature based on the embroidery and grandeur of the bag. At this point the purses were for women largely and were so joined to their girdle.
In the 15th century, both men and women wore purses. They were on numerous occasions finely embroidered or ornamented with gold. It was also habitual for men to over their new brides purses embroidered with an specimen of a derive pleasure story. Later in the century, women, now go by graduallying finer dresses, preferred to irritate their pouches guardianship their skirts.
+Quote Post
tiny28
post Apr 14 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #3

TNT AQUATICS
Group Icon

Valued Member
Trust Rating
Group: Community Sponsor

i agree my male has spots all over his body and my female has none and im sure its a pair because theyve already spawned once.
+Quote Post
jacoblb
post Apr 14 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #4

P. Cariba
Trust Rating

QUOTE(tiny28 @ Apr 14 2005, 01:51 PM)
im sure its a pair because theyve already spawned once.

IMO best way to sex them laugh.gif

Some girls look better after a couple caipirinhas.
+Quote Post
warren4066
post Apr 14 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #5

warren4066
Trust Rating

I agree as well, i have a pair of dovii and the male is alot more colorful than female. You'll see blue green tinted colors on the male and the female will stay the same color unless its mature than you'll see green around the stomach area and head. some blue might be on the females fin as well.
+Quote Post
kidstuff
post Apr 14 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #6

P. Cariba
Trust Rating

thanks guys.. so i'll be looking for spots all around the body for a male at 4" up smile.gif
+Quote Post
MuskyKiller
post Apr 14 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #7

S. Rhombeus
Trust Rating

Normally male dovii will start to show spots on their body on 3.5" or so, you will notice that their bar is much more broken up and they tend to be more colorful. Usually blues and greens are much more vibrant in males and females tend to be yellow/brown with little color other than their base color. The biggest are spots on the body and then the coloration on the male's gill plate is blue/green/purple. The elongation of the fins also starts to become more apparent. I think with dovii as juvies, size has little to do with it. They seem to grow relatively closely in speed, but if you compare them, males are easily distinguished.

Crenicichla sp. Xingu 1
+Quote Post
kidstuff
post Apr 16 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #8

P. Cariba
Trust Rating

QUOTE(The True Guapote @ Apr 14 2005, 10:50 PM)
Normally male dovii will start to show spots on their body on 3.5" or so, you will notice that their bar is much more broken up and they tend to be more colorful.  Usually blues and greens are much more vibrant in males and females tend to be yellow/brown with little color other than their base color.  The biggest are spots on the body and then the coloration on the male's gill plate is blue/green/purple.  The elongation of the fins also starts to become more apparent.  I think with dovii as juvies, size has little to do with it.  They seem to grow relatively closely in speed, but if you compare them, males are easily distinguished.

thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 11:45 PM