Real Experts. Real Advice. Right Now. Home of Snowy - The World's One and Only TRUE ALL-WHITE Leucistic Australian Lungfish!  
Message ForumsLive Chat
Species Image

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome to WaterWolves! Please join our community. It's fast, easy, and free!
Quick Register
Welcome to WaterWolves. We're glad that you have discovered the premier online community dedicated to rare, exotic, and predatory fish, since 1998! Please take a moment to consider creating a free account with us.

By registering an account, you can take advantage of many features, including:
  • The collective knowledge of thousands of expert hobbyists!
  • The largest free rare and exotic fish marketplace on the Web!
  • Local chapters. Meet other hobbyists in your area!
  • Exclusive free contests and raffles!
Login User Name

Login Password

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vampire Crab!
MarcusK408
post Feb 11 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #1

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating
Group: Members

Hey everyone! Here's one of three vampire crabs that was just shipped to me. I have three (two males, one female). I first learned about them from Practical Fishkeeping. All I know about them is what I learned from here...
Vampire Crabs

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by MarcusK408: Feb 11 2010, 12:38 AM

"To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."
"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Guerrilla
post Feb 11 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #2

P. Cariba
Trust Rating

diggin the coloration

btw where did you get 'em?
+Quote Post
NARC
post Feb 11 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #3

too vulgar for jesse
Group Icon

Recognized Contributor
Trust Rating
Group: Silver Supporter

totally awesome. like a painted up red-claw crab you get at petsmart. i love seeing new pets appear on the pics page. got pictures of the setup? i was going to get a couple scorpions to keep me company in my new office but i may have to add these to the list. i read that thread, did you get them for around 24 bucks apiece or have they come down in price since then?

i am no longer an active part of the band helltrash but still support them, you should too. i'm starting a new local project and will whore that up in due time. ~n

HELLTRASH... the dawn of ANNIHILATION

helltrash page

"it feels like a well-concealed pimp-slap." ~ the immortal text of Floppy_D.

+Quote Post
MarcusK408
post Feb 11 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating

QUOTE(Guerrilla @ Feb 11 2010, 12:18 AM) *

diggin the coloration

btw where did you get 'em?

QUOTE(NARC @ Feb 11 2010, 03:52 AM) *

totally awesome. like a painted up red-claw crab you get at petsmart. i love seeing new pets appear on the pics page. got pictures of the setup? i was going to get a couple scorpions to keep me company in my new office but i may have to add these to the list. i read that thread, did you get them for around 24 bucks apiece or have they come down in price since then?

I got them at Crazycrays.com. Pricing was $40/pair and individuals are $15/male and $25/female. Mine were $55(2 males, 1 female) + $40 UPS shipping. My setup is not much to look at. It's still under construction. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mule
post Feb 11 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #5

Cthulhu
Trust Rating

These guys are really neat. My LFS gets them in occasionally, labeled as "Halloween Crabs." They usually in the $10-$12 range. Been toying with the idea of a planted type tank with some these guys.
+Quote Post
MarcusK408
post Feb 11 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating

QUOTE(Mule @ Feb 11 2010, 11:38 AM) *

These guys are really neat. My LFS gets them in occasionally, labeled as "Halloween Crabs." They usually in the $10-$12 range. Been toying with the idea of a planted type tank with some these guys.

The Halloween crab (Gecarcinus quadratus) is a different species.
You can see the difference here...
http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/05/28/halloween-crab/

Vampire crabs are Geosesarma sp. "Vampire".

This post has been edited by MarcusK408: Feb 11 2010, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post
NARC
post Feb 11 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #7

too vulgar for jesse
Group Icon

Recognized Contributor
Trust Rating
Group: Silver Supporter

yeah these things are definately relatively new to the market. halloween/ moon crabs and so forth have been around forever. i'd get a trio, but back in my day which wasn't long ago overnighting something that wasn't bogged down with 10+ pounds of water weight (i.e. all of the snakes, turtles, and inverts i've brought in) was 20 bucks, not forty, so i gotta pass on the crazycrays guys. set up your vivarium so i can see more of these creatures than them just climbing your your body. tongue.gif.

This post has been edited by NARC: Feb 11 2010, 04:13 PM

i am no longer an active part of the band helltrash but still support them, you should too. i'm starting a new local project and will whore that up in due time. ~n

HELLTRASH... the dawn of ANNIHILATION

helltrash page

"it feels like a well-concealed pimp-slap." ~ the immortal text of Floppy_D.

+Quote Post
MarcusK408
post Feb 11 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #8

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating

QUOTE(NARC @ Feb 11 2010, 01:10 PM) *

yeah these things are definately relatively new to the market. halloween/ moon crabs and so forth have been around forever. i'd get a trio, but back in my day which wasn't long ago overnighting something that wasn't bogged down with 10+ pounds of water weight (i.e. all of the snakes, turtles, and inverts i've brought in) was 20 bucks, not forty, so i gotta pass on the crazycrays guys. set up your vivarium so i can see more of these creatures than them just climbing your your body. tongue.gif.

Philippe at Crazycrays will also ship priority mail which is less. It would've cost only 13 bucks for shipping but he won't guarantee live arrival this way. He's in Southern Cali and I'm in Northern Cali. Based on how the crabs were packaged, I think they would've survived priority mail. Maybe next time I'll try priority mail instead of $40 for UPS next day air.

Here's some pics of my 5 gallon setup. I plan to put them in a 10 or 20 gal when I can find one and add more crabs in the future.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by MarcusK408: Feb 11 2010, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
fishing4exotics
post Feb 11 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #9

GRRRR.....It's cold!
Group Icon
Trust Rating
Group: Platinum Supporter Mod

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Philippe at Crazycrays will also ship priority mail which is less. It would've cost only 13 bucks for shipping but he won't guarantee live arrival this way. He's in Southern Cali and I'm in Northern Cali. Based on how the crabs were packaged, I think they would've survived priority mail. Maybe next time I'll try priority mail instead of $40 for UPS next day air.

Cool crabs, Marcus! I'm thinking of getting some Tanganyikan crabs myself.

You might want to suggest he ship through Greyhound. In some instances you get your package withing hours. The price will usually run around $15 for Greyhound shipping from So-Cal to Nor-Cal.
+Quote Post
Mule
post Feb 13 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #10

Cthulhu
Trust Rating

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Mule @ Feb 11 2010, 11:38 AM) *

The Halloween crab (Gecarcinus quadratus) is a different species.
You can see the difference here...
http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/05/28/halloween-crab/

Vampire crabs are Geosesarma sp. "Vampire".

Actually, they must mislabel them, because the crabs they get in look just like the ones you have, I'll try and get pics next time they come in. They've only been showing up in the last year.
+Quote Post
FISHKING111
post Feb 13 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #11

P. Piraya
Trust Rating

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 12:14 AM) *

Hey everyone! Here's one of three vampire crabs that was just shipped to me. I have three (two males, one female). I first learned about them from Practical Fishkeeping. All I know about them is what I learned from here...
Vampire Crabs

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

transformers...robots in disguise smile.gif NICE cool.gif
+Quote Post
MarcusK408
post Feb 14 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #12

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating

QUOTE(fishing4exotics @ Feb 11 2010, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Cool crabs, Marcus! I'm thinking of getting some Tanganyikan crabs myself.

You might want to suggest he ship through Greyhound. In some instances you get your package withing hours. The price will usually run around $15 for Greyhound shipping from So-Cal to Nor-Cal.

Alas...there's no Greyhound shipping service near the seller. sad.gif

Here's a better close up shot. I have also moved them to a 10 gallon tank. I plan to get more of these guys. They're so cool!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
rit10
post Feb 14 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #13

P. bichir bichir
Trust Rating

very cool looking little fellas!! nice cozy set up too!
+Quote Post
karl73
post Feb 20 2010, 07:07 AM
Post #14

Trust Rating

I've I had a couple of these little dudes since christamas, I also had a mandarin but he snuffed it mad.gif

However mine have less red in the eyes and a darker colour but I'm in U.K check out my thread I'll see if I can get some better pics. Crabtastic Diary

Attached Image

+Quote Post
limz_777
post Feb 23 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #15

S. Spilopleura
Trust Rating

what sort of moss is that ?
+Quote Post
Rangia
post Feb 25 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #16

Trust Rating

I have been keeping this cute little crabs since last August. So I thought I would just share my experience here.

I originally got one female and two juveniles. My female after few weeks after being put into the tank went into extreme hiding. I was very disappointed. I watch mine, not necessarily into the handling thing. However, middle of October she started making appearances. And then I noticed baby crabs running around the tank. I only got three babies, all still with me though. So now I have doubled and have 6 total.

I would consider them slow growers. At 4-5 months old they are still less than half the size of a adult and no coloring.

I keep mine in subtropical coconut bedding like for frogs with sandy areas. They love it. They love to build tunnels. Their water section goes to 8 inches deep but they prefer the shallow areas. I am working on a new tank now that I have more experience with them.

I feed them frozen peas, carrots, and shrimp as a base. Just from your frozen section of the supermarket. Otherwise they get whatever I can find that I think will be tasty and change of pace. I also have on hand fish flakes and food for aquarium shrimps and crayfish to throw in. They love the occasion nut, like hazelnut or almond. Sometimes they will eat frozen fish food but not a favorite it seems.

They also get live snails. My husband is against live insects. I have given them a few worms but you get sooo many in our local containers that its troublesome. So we have a 4 gal aquarium just for producing snails. I put a few in their water area every few days or so. Perhaps they like the light hunting? anyways they seem to be yummy.
+Quote Post
MarcusK408
post Feb 26 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #17

Are YOU lookin at ME???
Trust Rating

QUOTE(limz_777 @ Feb 23 2010, 06:32 AM) *

It's Fluker's all natural moss.

QUOTE(Rangia @ Feb 25 2010, 08:26 AM) *

I have been keeping this cute little crabs since last August. So I thought I would just share my experience here.

I originally got one female and two juveniles. My female after few weeks after being put into the tank went into extreme hiding. I was very disappointed. I watch mine, not necessarily into the handling thing. However, middle of October she started making appearances. And then I noticed baby crabs running around the tank. I only got three babies, all still with me though. So now I have doubled and have 6 total.

I would consider them slow growers. At 4-5 months old they are still less than half the size of a adult and no coloring.

I keep mine in subtropical coconut bedding like for frogs with sandy areas. They love it. They love to build tunnels. Their water section goes to 8 inches deep but they prefer the shallow areas. I am working on a new tank now that I have more experience with them.

I feed them frozen peas, carrots, and shrimp as a base. Just from your frozen section of the supermarket. Otherwise they get whatever I can find that I think will be tasty and change of pace. I also have on hand fish flakes and food for aquarium shrimps and crayfish to throw in. They love the occasion nut, like hazelnut or almond. Sometimes they will eat frozen fish food but not a favorite it seems.

They also get live snails. My husband is against live insects. I have given them a few worms but you get sooo many in our local containers that its troublesome. So we have a 4 gal aquarium just for producing snails. I put a few in their water area every few days or so. Perhaps they like the light hunting? anyways they seem to be yummy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these crabs. I've been wanting to switch out my gravel substrate and use coconut husks with calcium sand. I haven't tried feeding vegetables to my crabs yet, or almonds.

+Quote Post
intelsuit
post May 9 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #18

Trust Rating

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 26 2010, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(limz_777 @ Feb 23 2010, 06:32 AM) *

It's Fluker's all natural moss.

QUOTE(Rangia @ Feb 25 2010, 08:26 AM) *

Thanks for sharing your experience with these crabs. I've been wanting to switch out my gravel substrate and use coconut husks with calcium sand. I haven't tried feeding vegetables to my crabs yet, or almonds.

We, my son and I, just purchased three of them from the pet store about 10 days ago. We have them in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is decorated with tree bark. I will have to post a few pics. We have a water dish instead of a full water setup. I believe that we have 2 males and one female. I have fed them fish flakes and a few peas. They don't seem to like the peas so much. They do however really like the fish flakes in the water dish. We have tried hermit crab food as recommended by the guy at the fish store but they don't seem to have touched it at all.
+Quote Post
fish103
post May 10 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #19

Trust Rating

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 01:14 AM) *

Vampire Crabs

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

where did u get them i want to get one
+Quote Post
fish103
post May 10 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #20

Trust Rating

QUOTE(MarcusK408 @ Feb 11 2010, 01:14 AM) *

Vampire Crabs

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

where did u get them i want to get one
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:11 AM