Real Experts. Real Advice. Right Now. Home of Snowy - The World's One and Only TRUE ALL-WHITE Leucistic Australian Lungfish!  
Message ForumsLive Chat
Species Image

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome to WaterWolves! Please join our community. It's fast, easy, and free!
Quick Register
Welcome to WaterWolves. We're glad that you have discovered the premier online community dedicated to rare, exotic, and predatory fish, since 1998! Please take a moment to consider creating a free account with us.

By registering an account, you can take advantage of many features, including:
  • The collective knowledge of thousands of expert hobbyists!
  • The largest free rare and exotic fish marketplace on the Web!
  • Local chapters. Meet other hobbyists in your area!
  • Exclusive free contests and raffles!
Login User Name

Login Password

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone put down fish using alka seltzer?, Is is humane in your opinion?
Scorponok
post Dec 27 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Group Icon
Trust Rating
Group: Gold Supporter

It's one of the methods approved by the American Vet Medical Association, but in conjunction with freezing the fish afterward to ensure death.

I don't have time to wait for m222 to arrive, so is this the second best approach or other more humane ways beside the priest method?

Anyone done it with Alka seltzer and what's your experience and take on this method? Do you also consider it humane?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jsciacca
post Dec 27 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #2

my BLEEKERI
Trust Rating
Group: Members

This is the first I've heard of it, but it somewhat makes sense. Worth looking into.

G-MEN............GIANTS to the Super Bowl
+Quote Post
TWR
post Dec 28 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #3

S. Spilopleura
Group Icon
Trust Rating

I wouldn't do it. It sounds like all your doing is suffocating the fish with CO2 in a highly irritating solution. I don't know how it feels for fish, but I almost killed myself with CO2 once. I was making some homemade ginger ale and the recipe I was using called for letting the yeast grow for a day in a 5 gallon bucket before bottling. After the letting the yeast colonize for a day, I was curious what my ginger ale smelled like, so like a moron, I stuck my head in the bucket and took in a big wiff. I nearly blacked out from inhaling all the CO2, and if I had, I would have been passed out with my head in a 5 gallon bucket, drowning on ginger ale. It seems really funny now, but when I pulled my head out, my lungs and sinuses were burning, my eyes were watering and my head hurt for a few hours afterward. It was horrible. So assuming fish react the same way to CO2 as I did, if you don't have enough dissolved in the water when you start, it will be a long and painful death.
I would recommend a swift blow to the fishes head, then cut through the spine at the base of the head. If you want to be thorough, you can then cut through the fishes body where the body meets the operculum. This will cut through the heart, or at least most of the major blood vessels.
+Quote Post
Gr8KarmaSF
post Dec 28 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #4

S. Rhombeus
Trust Rating
Group: Members

Carbon Dioxide

Carbon dioxide can be used to euthanize fish. Alka Seltzer is a popular source for carbon dioxide to be released in water. This method may seem innocuous enough but most people who have used this method say that their fish thrashed around a little bit just as if the fish were out of water (here is one person's story). You may need to decapitate or freeze the fish afterwards to ensure death. The AVMA supports this method and many universities advocate using this method as well (see the University of Washington's Policy for Euthanasia for Fish Species). Dr. Craig Harms (http://www.petplace.com/fish/euthanasia-in-fish/page1.aspx) describes this method; 8 tablets of Alka Seltzer is required per gallon of water.
blink.gif
+Quote Post
Scorponok
post Dec 28 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #5

Group Icon
Trust Rating

Well, it's a done deal, but I read from some that the fish just fell asleep peacefully, while some said the fish was trashed around.

I didn't observe the whole process of the fish's reaction but I think it suffered a bit. The fish did trash the water, only once I know for sure, but maybe more times. After using eight tablets and waited a few minutes, I checked on the fish, and it was upside down no movement except breathing fast. So I put two more tablets in. I then waited much longer and it was dead.

TWR, you said when you first inhaled the CO2 you nearly blacked out. I think that's the purpose, to first knock you out fast then suffocate. If you did passed out, any buring sensation afterward can't be felt. I think the knocking out part is crucial in terms of CO2 dosage on the fish.

I wouldn't recommend this method unless the fish is smaller than 6".
+Quote Post
TWR
post Dec 29 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #6

S. Spilopleura
Group Icon
Trust Rating

I understood that it was supposed to knock the fish out fast, but my point was that it wasn't reliable way to do it and if it didn't work, the fish would suffer sad.gif . Still there are worse ways to go, at least you were humane enough to put it down quickly instead of just letting it slowly die. I'm always frustrated when I go out fishing and see live fish on a stringer. It's better for the fish and the meat to quickly kill and bleed the fish.
What was wrong with your fish to begin with? Just curious.
+Quote Post
Scorponok
post Dec 29 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #7

Group Icon
Trust Rating

This fish had a severe gill curl with crooked jaw so no one will take it, and was also beginning to eat its tankmates. It's growth rate was incredible, grew 10 inch in half year.

It was very hard for me to make this decision but it breath faster than other fish to get oxygen because of the curl gill, so I think it's suffering more or less on a daily basis. If I let this guy live, more of it's tankmates will get eaten. It's either this guy go or others die.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 09:26 PM